Turmeric’s treasure lies in curcumin’s benefits. Curcumin has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Researchers are investigating whether it may help diseases
Turmeric is a spice that comes from the turmeric flowering plant. Its major active ingredient is curcumin. “Curcumin gives turmeric that yellowish color,” Hopsecger says. “But beware: It stains easily. Try not to get it on your clothing!” Curcuma longa of the ginger family, Zingiberaceae, the roots of which are used in cooking.The plant is a perennial, rhizomatous, herbaceous plant native to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, that requires temperatures between 20 and 30 °C (68 and 86 °F) and a considerable amount of annual rainfall to thrive. Plants are gathered each year for their rhizomes, some for propagation in the following season and some for consumption.
Turmeric’s treasure lies in curcumin’s benefits. Curcumin has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Researchers are investigating whether it may help diseases in which inflammation plays a role — from arthritis to ulcerative colitis.
Here are the top 10 health benefits of turmeric.
1. Turmeric Contains Bioactive Compounds With Powerful Medicinal Properties.
2. Curcumin Is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory Compound
3. Curcumin Boosts Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, Linked to Improved Brain Function and a Lower Risk of Brain Diseases
4. Curcumin Should Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease
5. Turmeric Dramatically Increases the Antioxidant Capacity of the Body
6. Turmeric Can Help Prevent (And Perhaps Even Treat) Cancer
7. Curcumin May Be Useful in Preventing and Treating Alzheimer’s Disease
8. Studies Show That Curcumin Has Incredible Benefits Against Depression
9. Arthritis Patients Respond Very Well to Curcumin Supplements
10. Curcumin May Help Delay Aging and Fight Age-Related Chronic Diseases